


On Monday afternoon I picked Brady up from Mrs. Jennifer's and he felt a little warm. He had been showing all the signs of teething, so I figured he might have a slight fever. When we got home, I checked his temp and it was 99.5. I called the nurse and she said this wasn't very high for a baby and to just monitor him. I stayed home with him Tuesday and he just got worse. His nose was stuffy, he had a gagging cough, his eyes were watery and red, and his fever got up to 101.7. I called the nurse again and she said I could give him a little Motrin. I made an appointment for Wednesday morning for him to be checked out at our pediatrician. That night he threw up two bottles because he would cough and then gag. It was a scary sight. I checked his temp again at 10:00PM and it was 103.1. I called the on-call nurse at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.
I told the nurse his symptoms and she recommended we take him to the closest ER. I told Cole we were taking him to Children's. Brady slept during the 50 minute car ride and was smiling and cooing when we walked into the ER! This boy definitely looked sick, but he didn't act sick! Brady had blood drawn from his arm, tubes put down his nose to suction all the mucus, xrays of his chest to check for pneumonia, and a catheter to check for a UTI. Cole and I had to help hold him down during all of this. It was awful, but it had to be done. The nurses at Children's were wonderful. They did everything quickly and were being so sweet to our baby. We were so thankful for that. Everyone kept saying, "He so cute!" I just said, "Thank you" but I wanted to say, "I know!" Heehee:-) I am a proud mommy!
After all that trauma, the doctor came in and said that Brady had a bacterial infection. His white blood count was really high because his body was trying to fight off the infection. They gave him a strong antibiotic through his IV and sent us on our way.
It was a long night. We left our house at 10:20PM and got home at 5:00AM. Brady slept in my arms a little bit in the hospital, but he just really wanted to sit up and look around. On Wednesday, he slept most of the day. His sleep schedule was really messed up, so getting him to bed Wednesday night wasn't easy. I think we rocked him to sleep 4 times!
This morning, he ate a full bottle and didn't have a fever for the first time since Monday. I am so glad he is feeling better. This had been a traumatic and exhausting week. I am glad he will never remember all the screaming he did in the hospital. But, we will never forget it. I am glad to have my happy baby back!
We survived our first ER visit! What's next?!
Aww! You've hit that milestone congrats! lol. And Kristin and I were just talking about Jet's ER visit being after the last "long car trip" and how I don't want to ever go on a long car trip again because it reminds me of that night. No fun. Were you as paranoid as I about all the germy kids running around, touching everything and coughing but seeming to feel just fine as they squealed and made a MESS of everything while your baby is feeling so sick! lol. Was that a vent? Well I saw this on facebook first but I wanted to comment again and say GET WELL SOON BRADY! We love you all! Jet sends a hug. :)
ReplyDeleteOh goodness! How scary for you guys!!! I hope he is feeling better!!
ReplyDeleteOh my..I bet that was so tough for you! I am sorry you had to go through that, but so glad to hear he is ok now. I hope he is feeling all better!
ReplyDelete